Sunday, November 6, 2016

NaNoWriMo: Day Six

NaNoWriMo: Day 6 complete.  1,245 words.  I have the best husband ever.  I had planned to get my writing done when we got home after church things today, but that backfired when I laid down for a quick nap and woke up after 5 PM.  I was disappointed and couldn't re-motivate myself to even attempt to write.  While driving back from small groups this evening, I told Jeff it just wasn't worth the hassle and I wouldn't get any words done today.  He wouldn't take no for an answer.  Instead, he pulled out his computer when we got home and coerced me into writing with him!

I ended up going back to add in one scene and flesh out another in Chapter One for most of the word count today, bringing Chapter One to a total of 5,096 words.  Chapter Two got a little bit of fleshing out as well and I re-wrote a poem I'd written for the original Role-Play. Today's snippet directly follows Thorberta's meeting of Morgath Lightfinger, the dwarf I introduced yesterday.

The human axiom she'd heard regarding telling apart gnomes, dwarves, and halflings came to mind and made her giggle. 

Dwarves are square
Like the letters in their name
With lots of hair
Because they never shave.

Gnomes are round
As their name suggests
With leathery skin
That is tough and has stretch.

Halflings are oval
Some fair, some stout
With light fingers
And hairy feet. 

It wasn't a very good rhyme, to be sure, but one learned not to expect much from the humans. They were so bland in general. At least, according to what she'd read. She had never actually met one before. The only dwarf she’d crossed paths with had been a cheery, elderly female with grey whiskers above her mouth. No beard.  A very different picture from the hairy one Morgath painted.

2 comments: